17 May 2008

To begin...

So I've booked the placement in Nairobi so far. Now it's just a simple matter of:

-Waiting for confirmation of the placement
-Applying for a passport
-Applying for a visa
-Booking flights
-Find out if I can use my debit card and phone in Kenya
-Telling my boss I need a month off work (I may phrase this as: "Fuck your job, I QUIT!")
-Possibly applying for a new job BEFORE I go on the trip ready for when I return
-Getting to know others on the same placement via the webbysphere

Now I've realised why I rarely travel, but I think it will be more than worth it.
I've got to finish my exams, tax and MOT my car and think of a way to afford everything this summer for the time being. Might try for a loan, but I'll probably be refused (Damned global credit crunch).

Applying for a passport may be my biggest issue. They try to make the form as complicated as they can. I don't even think I've known any professionals for over two years. Who the hell can I get to counter sign it!? Plus I've got to fill out details of a long expired and forgotten parent's passport that I was included on as a child.

Stress stress stress stress

I probably do work too hard, but who else'll do it?

As far as flights go, Qatar seem to be the cheapest, if not quickest route to NBO via Doha. Never heard of Doha, but it seems I'll be spending twelve hours there during the connection, may as well have a wander around. May consider Wiki-ing the city before I go to find out what it's all about and if they are currently experiencing any civil wars I should be aware of.

About ten weeks to go!

No comments: