05 July 2008

Much more relaxed

College is now completely dusted, so I'm left with a lot more free time to sort out the few remaining bits and bobs. Hassle has plagued me at every turn over the last few weeks and I'm relieved that I'm almost sorted. My passport arrived with the obligatory tragic looking photo of yours truly, courtesy of my friend Dave standing outside the photo booth trying to put me off and make me laugh (git). My car MOT was the worst thing, taking over a week. You know you've taken your car to the wrong garage when they lend you your car back and tell YOU to go and pick up the parts they need to fix it (City Exhausts and Tyres on Goldsmith Avenue... just DON'T). My arm and wallet are both aching from the vaccinations (Hep A, Hep B, Typhoid, Yellow Fever) and I need to buy a butt-load of Malarone tablets to help prevent malaria (anyone know where to get it cheap?). But on the upside, I am so much more financially stable. I got a loan and my Granddad gave me £1000 to help me out.

I did hand my notice in at my job. That made me feel much better, too. They keep saying they'll miss me, but I can't stand any of them, I've wanted to quit since my first day. Hopefully my next job will have like-minded people; you know, listen to good music, hate Big Brother and not have a misguided obsession with films like 'Norbit'. Too much to ask?

I keep meaning to contact Real Gap and find out how I'm supposed to get to know the other people on my placement, now I have the time to, as I can't find any forums on their site. I wanna know if they're as anxious as I am about the trip, and if I get to know them now, it might reduce the awkward silences when we get there. Caroline, a friend of mine from college is from Nairobi and she's going back this summer to see her family, so I'll have someone I can hang out with if all goes wrong and someone brings Date Movie on DVD with them.

Some may call me pessimistic (I prefer the term 'realistic').
I say, only 'pessimists' can make the world a better place, as optimists are cursed with the delusion that everything is already perfect.

Four more weeks and I'm there.

No comments: