13 August 2008

13th - Renal failure and fence building

A winning combination!

Back at Kikuyu hospital with the beautiful Hannah again today. Followed a female Indian doctor called Dr Jani with experience coming out of her ears. She comes in once a week from a different hospital to take the interns on the rounds. She's a great teacher and well humoured, but very strict. It's funny watching the interns interact with her, because she terrifies them so much.

After rounds, we all sat having a coffee break. The interns didn't even get some peace here, as she sat quizzing them all about renal failure. I learned quite a bit.

Following lunch, ALL of the volunteers got together at the LCC orphanage to redecorate the place. There was fence building and fascia painting to be done. I helped with the fence, which involved tearing down a fence that they didn't need and cutting it to fit it's new location and shape. We had to dig post holes to drive the fence posts into, then we realised we were a post short, so I had to find a new one from a stack of firewood and shave of the bark with a machete. We didn't finish the fence or the painting, but we'll come back another day.

I'm relieved this evening. The girls going on safari with me this weekend have agreed to do the cheaper of the two options (which I can barely afford as it is) instead of staying in the luxury accommodation that I couldn't afford to do. Woo!

If I'd have know the real price of my coastal trip before it was booked and too late to back out, I wouldn't have gone. I was told a figure, which I assumed was in dollars like everything else, but it turned out to be in sterling. It cost twice as much as I thought it would and has jeopardised my chance to go on safari, the one thing I wanted to do out here.

Sorry about the mess. It's really hard to position pics where you want them on blogspot.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

You should have some moolah in your account now. Let me know if things get desperate and I'll transfer some more for which you can gradually pay me back in curries and DVDs upon your return.