28 August 2008

27th – Limuru feeding program

I missed the fortnightly feeding program earlier in the month, but heard nothing but good things about it from the other volunteers so I insisted on going this time around. We met Pat, a white Kenyan woman who inexplicably has a perfect English accent. She runs the show. She gets donations from churches around the world to keep the program going, which costs about US$3000 per month, benefiting about fifty families. Our job was to hand out the goods, while Pat handles crowd control, mostly to keep out people who haven’t signed up to the project that try to take advantage of the whole thing. Each person with a ticket receives small bags of beans, flower, butter, bread, salt, rice, matches, paper, lantern fuel and twenty shillings (about sixteen pence).

We began painting our LCC fence in the afternoon, but didn’t get as far as we’d hoped. We left early so that most of the girls could go and play bowls with Pat at 16:30. I declined the offer to go, on the grounds that I still have my real teeth, no arthritis or senility, nor am I receiving a pension or have any female friends going through the menopause. So I sat at Brack with KA watching ‘Clerks’ instead.

I’ve been feeling a little depressed again today and have been preoccupied with thoughts of home and money worries. Still, less than a week until I’m back.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Pfft, you and your silly money worries.

On that note, Nina's moving in next month as she's finally at the end of her lease and no-one in her house is renewing it. Four-way rent for the win!

Steve:- said...

Woohootles indeed!