05 August 2008

3rd - 4th Heathrow is the WORST AIRPORT IN THE WORLD!

The traffic around it is impossible to navigate unless you are a veteran Heathrow visitor, everyone else just has to cut people up changing lanes because the signs only let you know where to go seconds before it's too late.

Didn't get to the gate in time to meet Katharine and another volunteer, Jen, and couldn't find them while wandering about the plane after take off, so I needed to ask an air host to find them on the manifest for me to introduce myself. When I first boarded the plane, however, I was greeted with a surprise felt by the other passengers in the cabin as I exclaimed "Fucking hell!" when I found that Amy, an old college friend of mine just happened to be on the same plane only headed for Zambia to do volunteer work also with Real Gap. What are the odds?!

A selection of movies to choose from during the flight, I chose 'Kung Fu Panda' which I was quite pleased with along with all of the complimentary bits and bobs, not all of which I'm sure I was supposed to make off with at the end of the flight. Blankets, pillows, nice! But if you can consider closing your eyes for two hours, counting the number of times you hear the toilet at the end of the aisle flush in spite of your earplugs to be a good nights sleep, you can't be disappointed with economy class.

Arrived in Doha airport in Qatar at about so-many-minutes past dawn, stepped out of the aircraft into the roasting air stream of the plane's jet engine. As I moved away from the area it became apparent that the jet engine heat was, in fact, merely the normal, skin blisteringly hot wind one should come to expect at six AM in Qatar. Fortunately, the girls didn't have to suffer my whining for too long as we got to the terminal and checked straight onto the connecting flight, after saying so long and good luck to Amy.

I've eaten microwaveable pizza pockets that weren't as hot as that country.

The connecting flight to Nairobi, Kenya was as uneventful as it was uncomfortable. Somehow with even less leg room, nothing complimentary, and the in flight movie was restricted to 'Over Her Dead Body'. Yayness!

We were picked up from the airport by a delightfully psychotic driver named Bernard. Apparently, the only road law in Kenya is "we suggest you drive on the left". Driving through the slums was a real eye-opener, so many people, and occupying buildings, shops and stalls that looked like they could collapse at any moment. Beautiful countryside was to follow and we eventually pulled into the compound I will be calling home for the next four weeks. I've been shown around, met the staff and most of the other volunteers, all from around the world, all are awesome so far, though I can't remember many of their names.
Out of fourteen volunteers here, I am the only guy.

PS Yes, Mother. I've arrived safely, free from terrorist attack or incompetent pilot induced mid-air collision. I'll be fine.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

"Out of fourteen volunteers here, I am the only guy."

Ahem. Cough. Splutter. Choke.

Steve:- said...

The conversations about hair stylists are the most fun.







:(