30 August 2008

29th - Push!

Hannah and me did our usual trick at the hospital today of showing up to the wards to follow Dr. Godwin on a ward round and then asking nicely if he can introduce us to the staff in a more interesting department. Today, maternity! On Monday, I witnessed a C-section; today I got to observe a natural birth…gross…yet strangely awesome. It was even hilarious when seconds after the final push; the woman was on her mobile. She said a total of five stern words before hanging up, which were: “Come and see your son”. The rest of the time, we followed Jane (the young clinical officer I met a whole shed-load of posts ago, remember?) and a load of female interns around on a ward round. I got talking to Hannah during a break and discovered that she thinks all English people are arrogant… Racist.

Most of the girls stayed behind at Brack t get their hair braided in the afternoon, while the rest of us went to the LCC. I carried on painting the fence while Christine, Brit Jenny and Yank Jenny slacked off painting a storeroom and demolishing a telegraph pole. Tsk tsk tsk… just lazy.

In the evening I just sat and played ‘Phase Ten’ with Hannah, Laylah and American Jenny, thrashing the lot of them finally. Woohootles. Today was my last working day in Kenya, not long now before I jet off home. I leave at 15:00 local time on Monday and arrive back in Gatwick (so glad it’s not Heathrow this time) at about 07:00 the following day.

No comments: