31 August 2008

30th – Weekend binge

As it’s the last weekend for most of us, we had a rich full day planned. We got up at a reasonable hour to go to an elephant orphanage, followed by a giraffe sanctuary. Baby elephants rock. They were so funny and a little clumsy, competing for the attention of one of the rangers. At one point, a few of them ganged up on one elephant that was just lying down, minding it’s own business, when they all came and shoved the poor thing into the nearby pond. We got to pet them and a rhino that had been penned nearby to receive medical attention for some wounds.

The giraffe sanctuary was even more hands on. We spent the whole time feeding them food pellets. They’ve got such huge slobbery tongues…ewww. Some of the girls fed them by putting the pellets in their own mouths to get wet, sloppy kisses from the elongated horses…eewwwwww.

We had lunch next, presumably so that the girls could get rid of the taste, at a decent café in the city center. I had a burger (mmm… genuine African food).

In the evening, we got rather hammered (shhh, alcohol is forbidden at Brackenhurst) playing a game called ring of fire. One of the drinks we had was a bottle of 70% not unlike absinthe, but unlike absinthe, all you can taste is the alcohol. One of my forfeits was to do a ‘seductive dance’. As I can’t dance, I just took off my clothes instead in the most embarrassing way I could think of at the time. They got it on film, of course, so look out for me on Youtube soon. I don’t think the drinking went unnoticed. Apparently there were some complaints about the noise, or should I say, Kerrianne’s noise, a very loud drunk.

No comments: